Saturday, August 30, 2008

See CH Break 2 Bones Pt. 2 of 6 - Tuesday

So the good news is that Monday's blog was by far the longest installment. The bad news was that it was just one of 6. 

Here's goes Tuesday:

There are some people who suffer nobly, gritting their teeth against pain, silently suffering through the inconvenience of it all. But as many of you know, I'm not like that.

Not only do I tend towards noisy, hyperbolic language the one time of the year that I come down with a 4 day flu or lately, a sinus infection, but I also like to put it out there (I think reasonably) that I might be dying. I sprained my ankle once back when I was still playing with the Derby Doll. I still refer to the two weeks that I was on crutches as The Dark Times. And though, I've never actually broken anything on my upper body, I know that not being able to write with both of my hands would probably send me into an incredibly whiny cycle of complete and utter despair.

So in many ways I don't feel I deserve a husband who is the complete opposite of me when it comes to whining.

The first day he was in a lot of pain, but he insisted that I drive him to work, because "he could still point."

What annoyed him most was not being able to do anything for himself. And when I came back later to drive him to his doctor's appointment, the JKL paramedic had taken off the bulky arm cast and replaced it with a much more efficient finger brace and wrap. 

A paramedic is not a doctor, and I would've been annoyed, but it was CH. Really, it just goes against his nature to stay that incapacitated if he felt he didn't have, too. And at least he was a little sheepish as he got into the car.

Tuesday was also the day that I found out that people who are on the Motion Picture Health Plan are luckier than the rest of us. 

I've heard that most government workers get crazy-nice insurance that covers everything, and this isn't quite that. But the MPHP offices in Toluca Lake seemed nicer and more efficient than any medical office that I had ever visited. There are black and white pictures of old Hollywood stars lining the walls, and people in the waiting room range from actors to crew to agents. The doctors were smilier, more capable and reassuring -- just like the actors that play doctors on TV, but you know, with actual medical degrees.

There are tons of other perks, including access to alternative medicines, and a clear set path into an MPHP retirement home if you work enough hours. It makes you mad at regular insurance. I mean, if government and the entertainment industry can come up with such wonderful programs for themselves, why can't we come up with a good national healthcare option?

Anyway, here's hoping that we're all lucky enough to see a day when every one in America has access to great health care, not just our government and entertainment industry workers.

No comments: