Wednesday, September 03, 2008

TV's Back In School

So a couple of summers ago, CH and I did the math about how much HBO and Showtime cost (around $240 a year) vs. how many programs we watched on both channels. (4--7) and figured that the expense wasn't worth watching things in real time, and that we could just wait for all our favorite shows to come out on DVD.

Practical conclusion, but man was I hurting when that last season of The Wire came around. And for a while there, I couldn't bear that I was going to miss the new Alan Ball series, True Blood. What you say? Vampires + The Executive Producer of Six Feet Under? It was like HBO launched this series to punish me for quitting them. But then I saw the trailer, and it seems like they might have a great idea/poor execution + Kiwi Anna Paquin w/ a hard-to-believe Southern accent problem. See what I mean below, and let me know what you think if you have HBO and watch it.





On the brighter side, I discovered Skins (picture to the right) on BBC America about 3 weeks ago, which is basically a middle-class version of 90210 meets The Wire and so much better and diverse than any high school dramedy that we have on the air that I feel embarrassed for America whenever I watch it. Also, there's not a ton of soap opera involved and it's really easy to jump right into to it. So seek it out if you're looking for something good to replace Gossip Girl, which I watched last night, and have now redubbed Rich And Somehow Incredibly Boring Teenagers.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of things you should seek out, 4 more days until the Fierce And Nerdy launch. 4...


No comments: